Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Vista

The main computer here went kaput with a poof of smoke, so I took the opportunity to go without for the first time in years. There's always something on the internet that is entertaining in some manner, and I found myself replacing it with low quality TV shows. Eventually I ran out of fresh TV shows from the DVR and became startlingly bored. Then it became a great battle of procrastinators, who would give in and go buy a computer first? In the end I gave in first, using a birthday "gift" as an excuse, but I'm not fooling anyone, I'll be the one to use the new computer most.

Thus began the Vista woes, the Lexmark 3-in-1 printer isn't at all supported in Vista, and Lexmark basically is thumbing it's nose at customers, you can't get a Linux driver for it, you can't get a Vista driver, it might as well be a paperweight. Then re-installing programs has come up with dozens of paranoia firewall dialogs for each install. More startling, it's actually stalled the processor a few times... it's an AMD 1.8g quad core, so far I can't see much performance improvement from the old 1.8g Athlon. Thank goodness for backups, but all the registry is different, so it's password and number hunt week.

No comments: