Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Garage

I've wired 110/220 to the garage and got some cheap lights up out there, filled in the ditch and cut off one of the garage door rails that protruded far beyond the run of the door. The garage has a 12+ foot high ceiling, so there's been a lot of trips up and down the extension ladder. Most of the parts for the garage door were salvage, the door was extended to about 11 feet tall by adding sections, a standard door is 7 foot, which would have looked incredibly short on the front of a 15 foot building front. Somewhere along the line it all got messed up, but a pro garage door guy made it all work. Apparently the hinges on a garage door are not the same, they're numbered by the amount of offset from the wall brackets, not to mention the spring is different.

Still there's some leftover parts like a nice flat aluminum rail and some lumber. I've been thinking of building a Replicating Rapid-Prototyper (RepRap) , or some sort of Computer Numerical Control (CNC) mill. I've been unemployed for too many years and hope to at least break even selling something I can produce. The idea of being able to afford some of the equipment that can produce commercial quality output is exciting to me. The technical aspects are well within my grasp.

A little about me, I have a BS in computer science from St. Martin's University and a AS in electronics engineering tech from Pierce College, additionally I spent a year at Central Washington University studying electrical engineering, that was a turbulent time in my early life, I was married for a year, and I'm not sure I've ever really recovered from the divorce, I've been depressed and become an overweight middle aged escapist computer addict that lives with his aging retired mother. (God bless her.) I've got to do something to get out of this rut. On the positive side I've learned to be good with graphics editors, like Wings3d, that can be used to design parts for RepRap, I've also recently been programming in Haskell, a few years back I was doing some Java, before that it was C++. The list of computer languages that I've had contact with is somewhat large. When I was a kid they used to let us into the DOT offices after hours to mess with the computers and watch the payroll checks be printed out.

No comments: